Friday, September 28, 2007

An R1 Anime Industry Tragedy

Geneon USA has just suddenly announced that they will be ceasing operations soon. No one outside of Geneon and Dentsu knows. Many things led up to it, for quite a while now. Not-so-stellar niche titles. Downsizing. The failed ADV distribution meeting. The result? One less licensing studio. Less niche titles. Series' being abandoned midway. Licenses unreleased. Animenation's Ask John section has this and this on the matter. What does that mean?

It means that my Rozen Maiden collection will be incomplete, as the last 2 discs were supposed to be released after the closure date. Guess I can skip the hopes of seeing Ouvertüre on dvd. I missed Cardcaptor Sakura due to the lack of funds when it was available. I've just finished Ergo Proxy, thankfully. My Rozen Maiden Träumend preorders are still ongoing. Oh well...I will keep my preorders in hopes that it might be finished and to show that I support Geneon until the very end. If funds permit it, I'll preorder the Gankutsuou Complete DVD Box Set.

Thank you Geneon for being a distributor in the R1 anime industry. May your employees find success in their future endeavors. Now let's hope that the other R1 anime distributors will rescue these affected titles and deliver them to us. Please?

No comments: