I am very grateful that my company helped me with the ticket booking. Claudette was a sweetheart and worked with me towards getting a flight that worked with my interview time, with plenty of processing time and family reunion time. She even worked with me towards getting my transfer at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) because I needed extra time to clear immigrations when I return, and I wanted to have lunch with my friend while I had that layover. SFO is awesome. I had forgotten how big, expansive and well equipped an international airport is. Duty-free shops, food courts, security, the number of airline check-in counters, the volume of bustling traffic...you gotta love it.This was the first time I flew Cathay Pacific, and I have to say I was impressed. Nice planes. Good selection of entertainment. I was so psyched that they have chinese music! I listened to mandarin and cantonese pop all the way home, and back to the United States. It was also great to get good food on flights. We usually get 2 selections. In addition to pillows, blankets and mini travel packs, I also loved their headphones. In fact, I wanted to steal them. They were so awesome! But alas, they had that odd 3-prong plug, and the flight crew collected them before the flights ended. Oh well. I would also like to add that my flight from HKO to SFO was on a Boeing 747-400 (Version 3), and it was great. They had these new seats that had a seat recliner, so you actually slid in front into your reclining position instead. That way the person behind you is not crushed. They also added a cup holder to the bottom of teh tray, making beverages more accessible. In addition they also got the headrests with 2 adjustable sides so you simulate a neck pillow, and the main screen in every seat back housed all the entertainment you need. And they had outlets in between every seat, even in economy class. It was REALLY cool. They have come a long way in making flying a wonderful experience.
The flight to Malaysia, via San Francisco and Hong Kong went without a hitch. I arrived in SFO, and had to recheck myself for my connecting flights and then went through security into the international terminal. I remember browsing the duty-free stores there. I miss those! They always have such cool designer goods! At HKO, I had to go through the security screenings again to get to the departure terminal. I arrived at KUL with no problem! No delays. But I will say that the flights were full all the way. Not a single seat left, due to Chinese New Year being just 2+ weeks away.
The flight back to the US was a different matter. I arrived at the airport, got checked in, got through security and boarded my plane on time. We got delayed an hour because some cargo from Johannesburg was delayed. And that freaked me out, because my layover in HKO was only 75 minutes! When we finally landed at HKO, I exited the plane, only to find an airport attendant at the arrival gate, holding up a sign with my name on it! Apparently, they were holding the plane for me and one more passenger. We were rushed through the airport to the nearest check-in counter and checked in. I went through security screenings, made my way to the gate, and boarded the plane in 15 minutes! And guess what? We had a fuel problem, and were delayed at least 30 minutes! Regardless, we finally made it to SFO. Because I arrived at a lull moment, immigration was hassle-free and less than 10 minutes. My checked in baggage never made it off the first plane onto the second plane (due to time limitations in which they could not get my bag off the arriving flight on time onto the connecting flight on time, and the fact that the pallets were sealed by then), and that it would be in the next plane to SFO, and forwarded to me. However, because I had no luggage, I immediately became suspect for customs, and was pulled aside for questioning. Eventually I was released. Then I find out that a friend that I wanted to meet for the first time could not make it, because that was the day his boss decided to call in sick. Oh well. So I had an expensive lunch at SFO and then flew back to LAS. I checked with US Airways Baggage Service, and they found my checked-in luggage as en route to SFO. I was told it would be delivered to me between 7pm and 12am that night, and to please be home and awake. It showed up at 10:30 the next day. What a trip home. LOL. On the upside, because I was traveling away from Asia, the flights were quite empty. I got to raise the armrests and lie down on all my flights, save the one from SFO to LAS. It was nice, and when you're doing long international flights, it makes a world of difference!
And that was my flight experience this time. Despite some horrible experiences, I look forward to doing it again. I love flying. Security screenings, crying babies, delays...it doesn't matter. Flying is an experience unlike any other. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment