So it's been along while since I made a post. Sorry. Anywho, I suppose the biggest deal is regarding my H1B. Well ... I am glad to say that I got it. Long and difficult, but I got it. Yay! That means I will stop whining, not bitching, and not be depressed. And everyone wants that.
I was surprised that on January 7, 10 working days after we applied for my H1B to be Premium Processed, a reply came. Exactly on the promised date. I was very surprised but very pleased that it didn't take an additional week or two. Of course, then came the long and tedious process of getting all my documents ready and to make an interview with the US Consular in Malaysia for my interview. That took some coordinating too, as they won't allow me to make the appointment without a bank receipt from a Malaysian bank. I understand that I had to follow each individual Consular's own set of rules and regulations. But apparently they assumed that every Malaysian applying for an H1B is still in Malaysia, never left, and just got an offer without ever being personally interviewed in the US. How stupid. Regardless, I had to ask for my parents' help to get that done so I could make the interview appointment in advance. It was set on the 22nd at 10am.
One question on a form really got to me. It was "Have you ever violated the terms of a U.S. visa, been unlawfully present or have been deported from the United States?" It was a YES or NO question. This perplexed me, because of my unusual situation. What did my entire 2007 count as? Obviously, I wasn't deported. But what about the other 2 parts? My attorney assured me that I have not accumulated any unlawful presence days (because my previous H1B visa was still valid). I agree with that part. But then she suggested I be truthful and put YES as the answer. That just sent me ballistic! That's just asking for a system red flag! Of course, if asked, the truth is always the best, and getting caught lying on legal paperwork is a definite no-no. But it just didn't seem right, because I feel that neither me nor my company violated any visa rules and regulations. As usual, I overanalyzed to the point of insanity (and probably took some people with me, I'm sure). In the end, I put NO, because as far as I am tell and am concerned, I did nothing wrong. HR and several of my friends agreed too (that includes people in a form as well).
My company was very gracious enough to buy me my plane ticket back to Malaysia. And once my documents was collected, off I went! It was a long flight there, but it was wonderful to see my family again. Same goes for my friends and Malaysia herself.
On the 22nd, I showed up at the US Consular early. I got my ticket in, passed through security, and went into the waiting room, along with the others there. I got called in to a clerk to process my documents, and was then sent back into the waiting room. My photo and fingerprints got taken after that. Then came the interview itself. I interview with a American guy, behind a counter and glass (kind of like at a DMV counter). The interview was thorough. Thank gawds I had some additional supporting materials. After the interview, I immediately got my approval notice and where/when to pick it up. While there, I also chatted with some other folks there for various visas. I even heard about a rejection (to which I hope she gets her approval soon).
Two days later, I picked up my passport, with my H1B in it. And with that, I am back in the US and working again. It feels really good to be back on track! I am grateful that my company has stuck with me through this difficult ordeal (for all sides), giving me all the support they can, and welcoming back as if I never left. Words can't express how happy I am to be back. To me, my friends are my family here, and my company is a friend as well.
One thing that I should mention is that my newly acquired H1B is only valid until March 2009. That totally sucks, but unfortunately, that is my 6-year limit imposed by the INS (ever since my first H1B was issued). There was nothing any attorney could have done to extend that date. Having said that, HR is very aware of this and is working with me to find a more stable and permanent solution. That would most likely be a green card through employment. Let's hope it goes through.
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment