Saturday, June 21, 2008

I <3 WEIRD.

OK! So I am a few days behind ... but, lo and behold I am back in Las Vegas. And I already miss Portland. It was weird. And I love weird. My four days of walking was fantastic. I had booze in me a good bit of my trip. It was actually sunny on all four days. A little chilly, but sunny nonetheless. Portland is a very green and green-conscious city. Reuse. Refuse. Recycle. Everywhere. People of all kinds. Fantastic public transportation. Weiden + Kennedy. Pride weekend. And Michael. Meeting Michael there was so much fun. He's a really nice guy, and was gracious enough to let me stay at his cute, stylish studio. I call it the Taxidermy Suite, because he has a thing for fur. Nevertheless, it was nice place, located in Nob Hill, aka the Alphabet District, making it close to 23rd Street and to the Pearl District.

The 23rd Street area is very much like Virginia Highlands back in Atlanta. A few streets of great local stores, restaurants and bars, surrounded by residences all over. The Pearl District is just a few blocks away, and it is a downtown area, filled with many, many hip trendy spots. Contemporary industrial-modern styles meets historical greco-roman architecture at every corner, with mod-pop strewn in for a good mix.

I do want to go back. I didn't get enough time to see everything I wanted to see. And of course, to visit Michael again. But, what I did manage to see and experience includes:

Powell's Books - A whole block and 4 levels of books. Old. New. Used. Rare. Out of Print. A book lover's paradise. I could spend days in there.
Rich's Cigar Store - Best magazine selection in town. I don't smoke, but they do seem to have a great cigar selection too.
Hotel Lucia - A small boutique, modern and fun hotel. Includes a cute lobby area with a rotating art gallery. Check out Bo and Typhoon while you're there.
Ace Hotel - A mod, posh mid-century modern hotel in the Pearl District. Use that photo booth and capture the experience.
Ken's Artisan Bakery - fantastic sandwiches and baked goods. Always packed. Always good. Try some marionberry pastry.
Portland City Grill - the 30th floor location gives you an awesome view of the entire city, including all 7 bridges across the Willamette River. Very crowded and popular, so good luck scoring a table with a view.
Portland Japanese Garden - A beautiful place to spend a sunny day. Picturesque.
Reading Frenzy - A zine shop for all things 'zine.'
CounterMedia - small bookstore with all kinds of tasteful and not-so-tasteful erotica.
Mio Gelato - Go here for your Pearl District gelato fix.
Alotto Gelato - Go here if you're near 23rd Street.
Caffe Umbria - Fun, modern Italian joint. Good for a lunch break.
Masu - Grab some sushi and Hakutsure. Then chill.
Bleu - Enjoy an ever-changing menu, designed and served by the students of the Western Culinary Institute.
Silverado and Boxxes/Red Cap - Gay Nightlife.

PS. I also managed to see my ex-roomate John while I was there. Also managed to spend some time with Ben, another fellow Malaysian who was visiting Portland that weekend.

PPS. Southwest Airlines was ok an airline. The flight to Portland was nice and on time. The flight from Portland was delayed an hour and was completely full. I'll have to remember to check in early, so I can get good seats.

No comments: