Sunday, July 6, 2008

FUNi, the Savior.

That's the title I have dubbed the R1 studio known as FUNimation. In a surprise announcement at their AX2008 panel, FUNimation announced that they have struck a deal with (the supposedly defunct) Geneon to market and distribute several remaining titles and licenses that were orphaned. Geneon will still maintain their licenses and will oversee production of the dvds (after all, most of the materials were already completed before their sudden departure from the R1 anime market). In addition, Sojitz, an ex-partner with ADV, has also approached FUNimation. The result is that FUNimation now also owns the rights and licenses of all Sojitz titles previously held by ADV. Bad news for ADV, great news for FUNimation and anime fans out there. That is a huge number of titles added under FUNimation's wing, but I believe they can handle it. CEO Gen Fukanaga has made TONS of fanboys and fangirls wet their pants with this announcement. And AX2008 isn't even over yet! FUNimation FTW! Now the question remains on how these titles will be handled. Will they continue releasing singles for those partially-released titles? Will they just restart the whole title via boxsets? Will we have to double-dip on some titles? Regardless, now I can complete Rozen Maiden Träumend and Red Garden. I am SO excited! Can the 4th of July 2008 weekend get any better?

No comments: