Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hulk Smash! + I'm Sorry ...

I've been behind on my movies lately, so these last 2 weekends, I (being the comic-book geek that I am) managed to catch up on these two before they disappear.

The Incredible Hulk (Edward Norton|Liv Tyler|Tim Roth) isn't necessarily a stellar comic-to-screen movie adaptation, but it is still very well done. Directed by Louis Leterrier, it is much better than its previous predecessors. The story line and plot is fundamentally simple effective, with emphasis placed on good character development. Instead of Bruce Banner fighting his condition, he seeks to control it, and we get a glimpse into his dedication to achieving that goal. On the other hand, other characters in the movie are obsessed with his curse (to him), seeking to harness it for themselves. Adding in a nemesis that is suitably comparable to the Hulk himself certainly helps make the movie more balanced and believable. The CG effects are much better this time around. Be sure to look out for a cameo from another popular Marvel character. All in all, I was entertained.

Wanted (James McAvoy|Angelina Jolie|Morgan Freeman) was also a lot of fun, thanks to director Timur Bekmambetov. Taking the ordinary office cubicle-monger and thrusting him into the world of an ancient underground society of assassins (The Fraternity) is certainly a very graphic novel approach to things, keeping it in line with its origins. We get to witness Wesley Gibson go through his assassin training and honing his skills before taking on the ultimate mission: to avenge his father. Or at least, that's what it seems like. The effects and stunts are absolutely fantastic, as is Angelina Jolie's performance as Fox. A good twist and satisfactory ending wraps it up nicely. I have no regrets seeing this one in the theaters.

Overall, two movies that I am happy to have watched. More to come. Soon.

No comments: