The 4th of July holiday weekend sneaked up on me. I realized that it was 7/4, but it didn't occur to my pea-sized brain that my company was not running on Friday. Thus ensued a Thursday of quick-fire chaos as I struggled to finish as much as I could to get out early. Well, I left at 4:45pm, so I guess that's ok. And a coworker gave me a ride home, which was really nice of her.On Friday, I met up with another fellow Malaysian at my local Starbucks. It was nice to see someone that you have some commonalities and background with. Having come from New York City, he is definitely struggling, and doing somethings under-the-table to live-on. But I am very proud that he is working on getting his paperwork sorted. Having had to deal with paperwork (and still dealing with it today), I can understand his hardship. I wish him the best of luck.
That evening, Don and I went to a charity function for the Nevada AIDS Project, being held at the Las Vegas World Market Center. Its a giant monolith of a building that almost seems like there's no windows or doors. But of course, there are. Strictly B2B for the home furniture and furnishings industry, the public is usually not allowed in. But for special events such as this, an exception was made. And I must say that the building boasts a fantastic view of the ENTIRE Las Vegas valley, Strip and all! Anywho, the fundraiser was alot of fun, with lots of the local gay (and non-gay) community showing up for an evening of social interaction, drinks and fireworks. Of course, there was the auction and vocal singing for the evening. It was fun, and very refreshing to see what little a community we have here come out for an event. After that, Don and I went to Red Rock Casino for some late night dinner. We walked around the casino to walk said dinner after that. Every bit of exercise helps.
All in all, the day turned out better than I expected. That's a good thing. Why? Because I wasn't at home on the computer again, being bored and feeling like I am wasting my life away in my empty apartment by myself.
Picture courtesy of John Gurzinski for The New York Times.

No comments:
Post a Comment