Monday, August 4, 2008

The Clock Keeps On Ticking.

Its already August '08. And I am getting concerned.

My current H1B visa will expire in early March '09. That's just 7 months away. We're in the middle of my Labor Certification. That's where my employer has to prove that the can't find an American to do my job. So far, I've gotten word that résumés have started to come in for my position. How long must this continue, I don't know. It could take as long as six months. What a ridiculous hassle. Anyways ... we're supposed to extend my current H1B 6 months prior to its expiration, until 1/1/10. That will give us the time we need to file for my Employee Green Card, which should start one year before my H1B expires (aka, end of '08). As of right now, everything's 'in the system.' Whatever that means.

I'm trying to remain optimistic, but its difficult. I'm not the happy-go-lucky person I wish I was. Being a Capricorn and a Snake, I am overly cautious. I am very grateful to be with such a wonderful employer and happy with where I am and where I have gotten so far. I'm doing my best at work, and living very modestly. For the first time in my life, I can actually save money and not ask my family for financial help (unfortunate fluke circumstances notwithstanding). I treat myself when I can and when I need to. I'm slowly establishing a good credit history. I watch what I eat. I plan on getting a decent car and furnishing my apartment. Last night, I even talked with a friend about buying property. This is all new to me. And I hope it goes further. But ... in all sincere honesty, I'm really scared. And lonely.

Yet, I do consider myself lucky. I was never one to be born with the golden spoon in my mouth. I just had a stainless steel one. My childhood wasn't horrible, but it wasn't very memorable either. My parents made sure I got the education I needed to achieve a career path I want. I did, and I will always be grateful to them for that. I love my family more that they will ever comprehend. From here on out, I am on my own. Its the mark of adulthood. And its a scary one. My ride here has not have been the smoothest (trust me on that one!), but finally ... I can see the results taking shape.

There are many other who are less fortunate than me. But they still go on, and never give up. Life goes on, and I'm doing my darnest to make the best of it. Good memories last forever, and its time I started.

I'm off to listen to Mandarin Pop. It calms me down, helps me relax, and it reminds me of the good comforts of home.

No comments: