Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Rose. Revolution. Revival.

I had all 9 Utena CDs. Even some of the first pressings. It took me a long to get them, but get them I did, and they were my most prized CDs. Why? Because I love the music to this series as much as I love the series itself. J.A.Seazer is a genius at construction pieces that are unbelievably orchestral, engaging, haunting, creepy, sensual, energetic, beautiful and captivating. Well, needless to say, I no longer have them. They were stolen along with many other personally-treasured items of mine. But I have been given a second chance.

After a two month release delay, I finally got a new copy of these recently re-released tunes. The Utena Complete CD-Box contains all the previous CDs, plus a bonus remix CD. Completely remastered for Kunihiko Ikuhara's eventual HD release of Utena, this complete soundtrack collection brings back all the memories from watching this fantastic series. And it never sounded better. Housed in a sturdy chipboard box adorned with an exclusive piece of Chiho Saito artwork, it looks great. The ten CDs are done in shades of fuschia and magenta, and are housed in thin jewel cases (with nice shine paper used for the inserts). A thick booklet completes this extremely limited set. On a side note, as this is a direct port of the tracks, what was previously missing is still missing.

It is unlikely I'll ever be able to replace the CDs I lost. They will always hold a special place in my heart. Nevertheless, its wonderful to be able to experience J.A.Seazer's fantastic work once again with this rerelease. Check out my slideshow for some (hopefully decent) pictures. Enjoy. I know I am.

No comments: