I moved to Las Vegas last year. Within two months, someone managed to snatch my newly-established card number and stole $1000 from my acct. All in WeHo. We solved it. And now ... its happening again. Same bank, same account.
$800 e-check from Planet Hollywood. $70 from Dillards.com. A $750 paper check to Sears. I can see the gambling needs. I can see buying a new dishwasher. But Dillards?! What?! Hello? Saks Fifth Avenue? Barneys New York? Neiman Marcus? Anyone of the couture boutiques? What's next? Similac and Pampers from Wal-Mart? Wow. I'm dumbfounded. The check had my account and routing number, but the name and address was that of a woman. Probably a fake address and ID.
I have no clue how it happened, but I have an idea. My rent check never made it. Now, as it was a holiday weekend, I dropped it off in the outbox in the mail room of my condo complex. Somehow, I think someone managed to fish it out that outbox. Why? because I almost received a 5-day notice from my rental company (which would have led to an eviction notice). Thankfully, I had my savings account, with no overdraft protection. I had to speed-drop a cashier's check to cover my rent.
Anywho, my week was spent with 4 visits to the closest bank branch. During business hours (yeah, my bosses weren't too thrilled). They had to physically verify who I am, and only they can freeze my account and open a new one. Waiting for affidavits and such was just ... dumb. I got the last one signed on Saturday, and today my account was closed. I received my new card and checks.
Now the case goes into 'Investigation' status. Joy.
Having done online BillPay, I now have to reestablish it all again. But two payments went through ... on my old account. Great. Just what I needed. Bounceback charges from both sides.
This is coupled with my super busy week at work. You can imagine what I was like on Friday evening.
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment