Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Green means GO!

Last weekend was quite interesting. It all began on Friday, when Kim called me into HR. I went in, hoping to hear some good news. Well, I heard some not-so-good news instead. While nothing was confirmed, she informed me that there were 2 obstacles to me obtaining my Permanent Residence through the company. 1) Having to prove that they cannot find suitable candidates to do my job, and 2) Having only a year left on my current H1B. These were serious stumbling blocks, and I was advised to email her throughout the weekend if I find out any additional information. Needless to say, the rest of my day was not in the best spirits.

Surprisingly, I didn't spend too much time this weekend doing research. The way I saw it, what I find in an hour was probably going to be all I am going to find on my own. I posted on an forum with an immigrations section, and did my own internet research. I forwarded all I found to Kim. One interesting item I found was the dates on my previous H1Bs. My first H1B started 01/01/04, which means my 6-year limit should be 01/01/10, 9+ additional months after my current H1B expires on 03/13/09. That would certainly help with the second problem. As for the first, I am sure the attorneys can find a way around it. After all, law is language.

Monday morning comes along, and I am made aware of a third obstacle: Money. Between extending my current H1B, the attorney fees, and money required to apply for a green card, that would be $10000+! That wasn't hot news at all! But ... after lunch, I get an email asking me to come down to HR. There, I learn that Jeremy, my Creative Director, convinced Kim and Ellen (one of the top honchos on the corporate ladder) that I am a worthy investment. Thus, they are going to go ahead and file for my Permanent Residence. That just made my week, even if the week hasn't happened yet! Granted, there is still the issue of eligibility, time, payments and loyalty after obtaining the card. Be it a reduction in salary or a payment plan, I am still ecstatic to hear the good news. I will be my employer's first green card applicant.

The process will be long, and probably quite costly. But after all I have been through, through school and all the jobs I held after school (not to mention all the immigration hassles that came with it), it will be worth it. Its extremely gratifying to know that you've achieved enough experience and skills to have an employer file for a green card on your behalf. That says a lot. Many aren't as fortunate as I have been, and I am extremely honored and grateful for such a chance.

Now I have to think of suitable gifts to Jeremy, Ellen and Kim. Suggestions?

No comments: